Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger didn’t do his own German dubbing for the “Terminator” movies . . . because his accent is actually pretty rural, and the studio felt it didn’t match the character.
– Crayola has crayons called Carnation Pink, Piggy Pink, Pink Sherbet, Pink Flamingo, and Tickle Me Pink . . . but not one that’s just regular old “Pink.”
– Out of the 19,400 or so Major League Baseball players since 1876, only 12 were from Alaska. The most famous by far is Curt Schilling, who was born in Anchorage.
– Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was created in 1939 by the Montgomery Ward department store . . . as a way to save money. They would buy coloring books to pass out at Christmas, and they figured it would be cheaper to print their own books with an original character than to keep buying them.
– If you make it to the top of Mount Everest, you’ll be standing in both Nepal and China. The border between them goes right through the peak.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey found the top things the average American needs for a “perfect morning” include coffee, a good breakfast, time to catch up on the news, and time to listen to their favorite radio show or podcast. (Full Story)
– Neiman Marcus just released its annual Christmas catalog with ridiculously expensive gifts. This year’s includes a luxury dog house for $70,000 . . . a $700,007 James Bond Aston Martin designed by Daniel Craig . . . and a $1,550 Versace punching bag. (Full Story)
– A new survey found the online dating lies that bother people the most when they finally meet someone. And the worst thing you can lie about is your age . . . your height . . . and your weight. (Full Story)
– No one wants the Facebook Portal . . . which is Facebook’s video chat device and smart speaker. It makes up just 0.6% of the sales in the smart speaker category because, apparently, we’re just not willing to trust Facebook in our homes. (Full Story)
– A guy in Dallas recently got a large cherry blossom tattoo on his side . . . but then he realized it made him look JUST like a bottle of AriZona Green Tea. He tweeted a picture of the tattoo, and a Photoshopped picture of his body with the AriZona colors and logo . . . and now it’s going viral. (Full Story)
realized that my side tattoo makes me look like an Arizona Green Tea can and now I can’t unsee it 😕 pic.twitter.com/vO26pJ4o1K
— marco (@semisexuaI) October 16, 2019
– A woman in California asked a cop to give her a ride to her car so she could fill it up with a gas can last week. And when they got to the car, six blocks away . . . the cop ran the plates and found out it was stolen. So, the woman was arrested for vehicle theft and drug possession. (Full Story)
– Back in May, a high school football coach in Oregon stopped a shooting by grabbing the kid’s gun. Now the security footage is going viral. Because once everyone was safe, he just HUGGED the kid, and sat with him until police got there. (Full Story)
Breaking News: video of Coach Keanon Lowe disarming Parkrose High School gunman Angel Granados-Diaz. More to come. pic.twitter.com/d7wK9ES6zi
— Dan Tilkin (@DanTilkinKOIN6) October 19, 2019