Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Your brain is 2% of your weight . . . but uses 20% of your energy. That means on the average day, a person uses 320 calories to think.
– The Smurfs were created in 1947 as minor characters in a comic book in Belgium called “Johan and Peewit”.
– Before Paul Shaffer was David Letterman’s band leader, he co-wrote the song “It’s Raining Men” in 1979.
– James Dean only starred in three movies before he died in a car crash when he was 24: “East of Eden” . . . “Rebel Without a Cause” . . . and “Giant”.
– The most common language in South America is Portuguese, not Spanish.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey found the most popular Thanksgiving main courses and side dishes. The most popular main courses are turkey . . . ham . . . and chicken. And the most popular sides are stuffing . . . mashed potatoes . . . and sweet potatoes. (Full Story)
– Pringles just announced they’re selling TURDUCKEN chips for Thanksgiving this year. Those are turkey-, duck-, and chicken-flavored chips . . . and when you stack them on top of each other, you have a turducken. If you’re interested, they go on sale at noon Eastern tomorrow at KelloggStore.com. (Full Story)
– A survey found the average party has 12 guests, requires 10 hours of work, and costs $197. And the average person who hosts parties throws about 7 a year, for a grand total of $1,423. (Full Story)
– A survey found the worst things you can do at a party include showing up sick, showing up early, getting too drunk, and using your phone too much. (Full Story)
– 56% of us feel pressure to overspend around the holidays. The top five things we feel like we have to splurge on are gifts . . . food and drinks . . . travel . . . new clothes . . . and decorations. (Full Story)
– It’s “cuffing season” . . . which is when single people settle into temporary relationships to get through the winter. And according to Match.com, the best cities for finding someone for that are Indianapolis and San Diego. The worst cities are El Paso, Texas and Washington D.C. (Full Story)
– A new study found that when we’re talking to someone we might have SEX with, we immediately start LYING to improve our chances. The researchers say people, quote, “embellish, conform, change their attitudes regarding certain topics, and outright lie . . . all to make a good first impression.” (Full Story)
– HALF of people say their commute is STRESSFUL, according to a new survey. The average person is commuting 48 minutes a day, which adds up to almost eight entire days a year. (Full Story)
– Americans MULTITASK more than any other country in the world, according to a new survey. Only 1% of people here say they don’t multitask, and 44% of us do it for at least three hours a day. (Full Story)
– According to a new study, millennials earn 20% less than boomers did at the same age . . . even though millennials are better educated. (Full Story)
– Four Loko’s new hard seltzer comes out today. And it’s 12% alcohol-by-volume . . . which means it has around two-and-a-half times more alcohol than the popular hard seltzers like White Claw and Truly. (Full Story)
– A guy cut the line to try to get a Popeyes chicken sandwich in Maryland on Monday night . . . and another guy wound up STABBING and killing him. (Full Story)
– A drunk guy in Louisiana stole an electric shopping cart from Walmart over the weekend . . . so he wouldn’t get a DUI for driving his car. He was arrested on an even more serious charge, though . . . felony unauthorized use of a moveable. (Full Story)
– A cop in Chicago ran a 15K race in full SWAT gear on Sunday and had to stop to do CPR to save a woman’s life. Then he crossed the finish line, got down on one knee, and proposed to his girlfriend. (Full Story)