Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– JFK didn’t push to get to the Moon because he cared about space exploration . . . all he was worried about was beating the Russians.
– Vikings didn’t wear helmets with horns. It comes from a performance of Richard Wagner’s opera “The Ring” in 1876. The costume designer made horned helmets for the Vikings in the show, and the image stuck.
– Before Kurt Vonnegut was a famous author, he worked at “Sports Illustrated”. But he got fired quickly when he was supposed to write an article about a race horse that escaped and only wrote one sentence: “The horse jumped over the [effing] fence.”
– The late fashion designer Kate Spade was David Spade’s sister-in-law.
– The first assassination attempt on a president happed in 1835, when a guy named Richard Lawrence tried to shoot Andrew Jackson. But his gun jammed, and Jackson beat him up with his cane.
Strange and trending news:
– The average person’s social life peaks at 29, according to a new survey. Partly because you can finally afford to do stuff, and you’re still young enough to have the energy to go out. (Full Story)
– What’s the LEAST FUN point in your life? According to a new survey, your fun hits ROCK BOTTOM at . . . age 45. The survey found that’s when you’re so stressed and busy with work and kids that you don’t have the energy to have much fun. (Full Story)
– Want to stay in a real-life version of Barbie’s Malibu Dream House? You can, thanks to Airbnb. They made a real version, and one person will get to stay there later this month. If you want it to be you, reservations open next Wednesday at 2:00 P.M. Eastern. (Full Story)
– Have you ever had feelings for someone who put you in the FRIEND ZONE? 50% of people say it’s happened to them in the past . . . and 9% say it’s happening to them right now. (Full Story)
– Here’s a warning for you: If you wear your earbuds too much, it can lead to ear infections in the future. It’s because they block your ears’ natural functions to get rid of dirt, sweat, and wax. (Full Story)
– The newest viral challenge is the “Gravity Challenge” and, basically, you just have someone dump water on your head, or dump it on your own head, to prove gravity works. And the people who are posting challenge videos on TikTok generally set their videos to John Mayer’s song “Gravity”. (Full Story)
– A Domino’s in Japan is promoting a game called PIZZA ROULETTE. You get a pizza and put GHOST PEPPER extract on one slice . . . then everyone grabs a piece and eats it. Most of you will be fine . . . but someone will get the insanely hot piece and probably cry. (Full Story)
— エキサイトニュース (@ExciteJapan) October 17, 2019
– Natural Light is doing a Halloween costume contest and paying $10,000 for the best ‘real life nightmare’ costume. One example they gave was a woman in prison garb, holding a ball-and-chain with “Student Loans” written on it. So, her costume is, quote, “Shackled by Student Debt.” (Full Story)
– What do you do when you feel a cold coming on? The most common ways people try to fight it are: Drinking hot tea with lemon . . . drinking lots of water . . . chicken soup . . . drinking orange juice . . . and sleeping. (Full Story)
– A guy in Illinois who had a warrant for forgery tried to give the cops a fake name when they caught him on Friday. But . . . he had his name TATTOOED on his NECK, which really blew up his plan. He was arrested. (Full Story)
– A first-grader in Wisconsin lost a tooth at recess last week but couldn’t find it and was worried the Tooth Fairy wouldn’t come. So, his principal wrote the Tooth Fairy a letter vouching for him, and it worked. She left him a WHOLE DOLLAR. (Full Story)